This traditional Kerala desert made especially during Onam, Vishu and for marriage sadya.
- Rice ada 200 gms (njurukku ada or small piece ada is good)
- Milk 2 liter
- Sugar 300 gms
- Ghee 2 tsp
Put rice ada into boiling water and cook for a while (stir occasionally), until it is soft. After it is cooked put it in cold water and rinse it for 2 minutes.
- Put milk, rice ada and sugar, in a pressure cooker (I used 8 Liter Hawkins) and cook in medium heat for 10 minutes, then put the weight of the cooker and cook in medium flame (for 8 to 10 minutes) until cooker releases its first whistle. Turn off the heat and let it remain in the same stove top for 10 -15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, now the mixture turns to a light creamish pink color.
- Transfer the mixture to another vessel and stir it, once the mixture becomes thick add ghee (20 to 30 minutes) and turn off the heat.
- Palada prathaman can be made in a traditional way by skipping the cooker method. Instead of putting it in a cooker, cook milk, sugar, rice ada until the consistency becomes thick. But itwill take atleast 1 hr to 1 ½ hrs.
- Preparing palada by cooker saves time and fuel the results are the same.